A Dynamic Urban Vision
Lanterra Developments started out with a vision to build iconic urban condominiums that offered a fine balance of location, luxury and lifestyle.
Lanterra Developments was founded by Mark Mandelbaum and Barry Fenton, two real estate visionaries who began with a dream to develop innovative, one-of-a-kind downtown condominium properties. Within a short span of just 10 years, we have charted an amazing success story on the Toronto skyline with one iconic condominium after another, scaling new heights in design, style and elegant urban living. Our guiding philosophy goes beyond just condominium building to dynamic urban revitalization and putting Toronto on the global map as the new city of the future, with vibrant master planned mixed use communities, sustainable green living and cutting-edge environmental technologies.
Spectrum of Operations
Mark Mandelbaum, Chairman of Lanterra Developments, attended undergraduate studies at the University of Toronto and went on to attend University of Toronto Law School where he graduated in 1981. After being called to the Bar in 1983, Mark practised corporate law for several years in a Toronto downtown law firm. Subsequently, Mark joined his family’s real estate business, H&R Developments as Vice-President Land Development and Corporate Counsel. During a span of over 25 years, Mark managed the acquisition, development, servicing, marketing and sale of thousands of acres of residential, commercial and industrial land throughout the GTA.
Barry Fenton, President and CEO of Lanterra Developments, attended Law School at the University of Ottawa, was called to the Bar in 1983 and practised law for two years. In 1985 he became the President of a major real estate firm which specialized in the acquisition and development of commercial and residential properties in both Canada and the United States.
“Mark and Barry’s respective and unique talents combine to create the synergy to develop and bring to fruition the kind of iconic and landmark buildings for which Lanterra has become so renowned.”
Mark and Barry joined forces in 1999 upon the acquisition of One Bedford and together formed Lanterra Developments with the goal of creating a first class real estate firm focusing on the anticipated major demographic housing shift to downtown Toronto.
Condominium development differs greatly from low rise development in that location, architecture, and design plays an enormously more significant role in creating landmark projects and enduring value.
In this respect, Mark and Barry’s respective and unique talents combine to create the synergy to develop and bring to fruition the kind of iconic and landmark buildings for which Lanterra has become so renowned.
Although both Mark and Barry are very hands on in all aspects of Lanterra’s affairs, Mark focuses his efforts on architectural design and marketing, while Barry concentrates on acquisition and construction.
Today we are a significant force in the real estate industry in the GTA, with a comprehensive scale of operations that includes Land Acquisition, Development, Design, Construction, Marketing, Property Management, Rental Management and support services. We approach everything we undertake with vision and foresight, guided by our core principles of quality, integrity and professionalism.
To create landmark urban condominium communities characterized by outstanding location, iconic architecture and design, inspired amenities and innovative technologies – all at an unmatched value.
To be the condominium builder of choice among smart homebuyers seeking exceptional condominium quality and value and who expect the highest standards of service excellence.
- To always find a better way to add value in everything we do.
- To unite our strengths and drive success for our stakeholders.
- To approach every task with utmost sincerity and dedication.
- To deal with everyone in a courteous and considerate manner.
- To encourage originality and embrace the dynamics of change.
- To abide by the principles of social and corporate stewardship.
What Makes Lanterra Unique
What makes all of Lanterra’s projects special is that they all share a common attribute - each is a unique, one-of-a-kind landmark that sets a new trend in urban living, a new benchmark against which all subsequent developments are measured.
Every Lanterra condominium represents the perfect combination of architecture, interior design, a superb selection of suites and floorplans and unbeatable value - all of which come together to offer the finest homes in their class.
At Lanterra, everything starts with a master plan. We take into account various factors such as location, design, area amenities, environmental considerations, existing and planned transit options, and much more. Each project is carefully developed, themed and marketed to meet the needs of the targeted consumer. From modern urban downtown condominiums like Burano to luxurious and aristocratic residences like Riverhouse, we offer a unique and special address for every homebuyer.
Location Open or Close
It’s often been said that the most important factor in the purchase of a condominium is location, location, location. At Lanterra, we site our condominiums in prime urban locations usually close to the downtown core, where residents can walk to neighbourhood shops and amenities.
Transit is a major consideration, and most of our condominiums are located within a few minutes walk to the subway station. Nearby art, culture and entertainment destinations, museums, theatres and galleries enrich urban living, while parks add a touch of natural beauty to the urban fabric.
Ultimately, our master planned vision for the perfect condominium is a diverse, vibrant and multicultural community, served by efficient public transit routes, refreshed with abundant landscaping and greenspace, located close to key urban amenities and offering a lively street culture with pedestrian plazas, markets and more.
Architecture Open or Close
Every site is different, with a unique and compelling story to tell. At Lanterra Developments, we recognize this and strive to express this individuality through innovative architectural compositions that impact shape, form and visual geometry.
The iconic architecture that distinguishes each project becomes a landmark for the entire neighbourhood, a coveted address for its residents, and a focal point for a vibrant urban community that grows organically as the city flourishes around it. For instance, in the case of One Bedford, award-winning architect Bruce Kuwabara envisioned a gleaming elegant structure of glass, limestone and precast, rising above an eight-storey podium along Bloor Street.
The architectural grandeur of Murano is a fusion of simplicity and design, advanced building technology and most of all, the inspiration of the legendary glassworks in Italy. Whether it’s the soaring contours of Ice or the clean crisp lines of 3018 Yonge, the spatial perfection of Burano or timeless elegance of Riverhouse, every Lanterra project is a glittering gem on the urban Landscape.
Urban Design Open or Close
We work with leading-edge architects and urban designers who take pride in envisioning new frontiers and new paradigms in building design.
How a project complements the master vision of a neighbourhood, how its shape and massing affects the urban landscape, how design can be a powerful force to revitalize a downtown district – these are just some of the key drivers behind some of our celebrated projects.
From the slender sculpture of steel and precast that’s Maple Leaf Square to the playful urban landmark of toy factory lofts, from the sheer glass artistry of Murano to the sleek scandinavian contours of ice, we always keep pushing the envelope in urban design. Celebrating Toronto’s enduring passion for hockey, Maple Leaf Square incorporates a cutting edge sports lounge among its many outstanding amenities. Treviso at Dufferin and Lawrence is inspired by the exquisite vineyards and grand piazzas of Treviso in Italy.
Building Amenities Open or Close
From the moment you enter a Lanterra condominium, you are transported to a realm of luxury and elegance, An oasis of style, comfort and recreation.
Our world-class amenities start with the magnificent lobby, and extend to gorgeous landscaping, state-of-the-art fitness facilities, spa-inspired pools and whirlpools, sophisticated home theatre and media lounges with remote wi-fi access, grand party rooms with stunning entertainment areas, catering kitchens and bars, incredible outdoor patios with panoramic views, and lots more.
The recreational options are virtually limitless enriching the lifestyle of the residents and adding value to their home and investment. Today, thousands of Lanterra homeowners are living the dream and entertaining friends and family with cutting-edge club-style amenities that inspire mind, body and spirit.
Suite Interiors Open or Close
Sophisticated, modern and elegant, every Lanterra condominium is the epitome of smart urban living.
Expertly designed with grace and flow, our condominiums are impressive and comfortable, many with balconies and terraces offering spectacular views of the city skyline. The interiors are spacious, bright and airy, with splendid features like soaring nine foot ceilings, stylish laminate flooring and meticulous custom detailing throughout.
Open concept floorplans provide plenty of room to live and entertain. Bedrooms are havens of serene solitude, many featuring expansive closets and sumptuous ensuites with spa-inspired features for the ultimate in pampering. Kitchens invoke gourmet sensibilities with custom-crafted cabinetry, gleaming granite counters, eat-in breakfast areas, mood lighting and more.
Public Art Open or Close
At Lanterra, we believe art is a celebration of the creative spirit. At every one of our condominium communities, we have a specially commissioned work of art, strategically placed in the lobby or the common areas, for all of the residents to enjoy and be inspired.
At our Murano condominium, we commissioned internationally renowned artist Barbara Astman to create the iconic artwork that’s embedded in the podium wall. It celebrates the fabled glass artistry of the island of Murano in Italy.
At Burano on Bay Street, the four-storey glass atrium houses a custom-designed artwork by eminent artist Sandro Martini of Milan. Our Waterpark City community features a spectacular artwork designed by the world-famous Vito Acconci. Our 39-storey tower at 18 Yonge Street is graced with a unique sculpture by the globally acclaimed Tom Otterness. With every new condominium we build, we will commission new public art that will depict the vibrant, diverse and multicultural ethos that has made Toronto a world-class city
Environmental Features Open or Close
Many of our past and current condominium projects offer cutting-edge environmental features that conserve energy and reduce costs for the residents.
At all our sites, we are committed to sustainable building technologies, recycling and waste reduction, and the use of environment friendly materials and finishes. Many of our condominiums come with eco-friendly features such as green roofs, energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs, low VOC paints, natural flooring materials, water-saving showerheads and toilets, and so much more.
Condominium living is greener than single family homes because it has a smaller environmental impact, and takes fewer resources and materials to construct. Also, because a condominium unit is typically surrounded by other units on three sides as well as above and below, it takes less energy to heat and cool. We build on these intrinsic advantages, and enhance the quality of living through the use of green materials, finishes and technologies. For ultimately, it’s about the sustainability of a place we all call home – our earth.
- Location Open or Close
Awards and Recognition
Lanterra Developments started out with a vision to build iconic urban condominiums that offered a fine balance of location, luxury and lifestyle.
2012 Open or Close
- Best Radio Commercial (Gold) Treviso – The Nationals
2010 Open or Close
- Best Model Suite – ICE2 – GTHBA
- Best Black and White Ad (Silver) Treviso – The Nationals
- Best Virtual Reality (Silver) ICE2 – The Nationals
- Best Signage (Silver) Treviso – The Nationals
2009 Open or Close
- Best Sales office over 1500 sq. ft. for ICE – Ontario Home Builders Association
- Best logo (Silver) Ice condos – The Nationals
- Best Brochure (Silver) Toy Factory Lofts – The Nationals
- Best Radio Commercial (Silver) Ice Condos – The Nationals
- Best Sales Centre (Silver) Toy Factory Lofts – The Nationals
- Best Signage (Silver) The Residences of Maple Leaf Square – The Nationals
- Best Interior Merchandising of a Model (Silver)– Ice condos – The Nationals
- Best Product Design (Silver) – One Bedford – The Nationals
- Community of the Year (Silver) Ice Condos -The Nationals
2008 Open or Close
- Best Model Suite – Neptune – GTHBA
- Best Model Suite – Neptune Condominiums “Unit 102″ – BILD 28th Annual Home Builder Awards
2006 Open or Close
- Community of the Year for Maple Leaf Square (Greater Toronto Home Builders Association)
- Best Direct Mail – The Residences at Maple Leaf Square – GTHBA
- Best High Rise Ad Campaign – Maple Leaf Square – Ontario Home Builder’s Association
- Marketing Award – Best Direct Mail Promotion – Maple Leaf Square
- Best High Rise Ad Campaign – Maple Leaf Square – OHBA Awards of Distinction
- Community of the Year – The Residences at Maple Leaf Square – Greater Toronto Home Builders’ Association – 26th Annual Home Builder Awards
2005 Open or Close
- Project of the Year for Toy Factory Lofts (Greater Toronto Homebuilder’s Association)
- Best Direct Mail (for Toy Factory Lofts -Greater Toronto Homebuilder’s Association)
- Best Newspaper Ad (for Toy Factory Lofts – Greater Toronto Homebuilder’s Association)
- Best Signage for Murano – GTHBA
- Best Marketing Campaign – Toy Factory – GTHBA
- Best condo Sales Office over 1800 sq. ft. – Toy Factory Lofts – GTHBA
- Best Model Suite –Toy Factory Lofts – GTHBA
2004 Open or Close
- Greater Toronto Home Builders’ Association – 25th Anniversary 2004 Home Builder Awards – Best Marketing Campaign – Condominium – Toy Factory Lofts
- Greater Toronto Home Builders’ Association – 25th Anniversary 2004 Home Builder Awards – Best Model Suite – Toy Factory Lofts – Trivial Pursuit
- Greater Toronto Home Builders’ Association – 25th Anniversary 2004 Home Builder Awards – Project of the Year – Toy Factory Lofts
- Greater Toronto Home Builders’ Association – 25th Anniversary 2004 Home Builder Awards – Best Condominium Sales Office Over 1,800 Sq. Feet – Toy Factory Lofts
- Greater Toronto Home Builders’ Association – 25th Anniversary 2004 Home Builder Awards – Best Newspaper Ad – Condominium – Toy Factory Lofts
- Greater Toronto Home Builders’ Association – 25th Anniversary 2004 Home Builder Awards – Best Direct Mail – Condominium – Toy Factory Lofts
- Greater Toronto Home Builders’ Association – 25th Anniversary 2004 Home Builder Awards – Best Website – Condominium – www.toyfactorylofts.com
- Greater Toronto Home Builders’ Association – 25th Anniversary 2004 Home Builder Awards – Best Project Signage – Condominium – Murano Condominiums
- 2012 Open or Close